The Andhra Pradesh government has decided to impose a green tax besides banning single-use plastic. The state will be collecting the green tax to keep a check on pollution by industrial houses. Chief Minister Y. S. Jagan Mohan Reddy took the crucial decisions at a review meeting with the Forest and Environment Department.
Taking a serious view of growing pollution levels and its impact on the society, he noted that about one lakh tonnes of waste is being generated by pharma companies but only 30 per cent of it is being recycled. The remaining 70 per cent is left in the open, polluting the environment. He directed the Forest and Environment Department officials to prepare a proposal within one month to promote the protection of the environment and prevention of pollution.
The chief minister is keen to set up a committee comprising individuals who are dedicated and have comprehensive knowledge of pollution control and environment protection. The review meeting has also discussed among other issues, the ways and means to increase forest land, saving the environment by prevention of pollution in the state.